Being healthy is not just about being “fit” on the outside, but on the inside. There is a peace mentally, emotionally and spiritually when we are healthy and fit on the inside.
I have to be honest. This is the time of the year that I can get myself in a real “tizzy.” With all of the normal, busy activities of life, we are now entering the holiday season. As women, it can be natural to feel we have to say yes to everything and everyone; want to control everything; expect everything has to be perfect. When those feelings creep up, I have to stop and ask what really matters.
I come to realize that when I focus on the basics, what matters, I’m able to:
- be the mother and wife God calls me to be
- fulfill His purpose for my life, instead of what I think it should be
- Find time to spend with God and take care of my health
- have peace and live healthy physically, mentally and spiritually
Has life become so busy for you that you are no longer focusing on what really matters?
Are you so busy,
- Trying to please other people instead of looking to please God which can keep you from feeling confident in who you really are in Christ.
- Trying to be something you are not instead of learning what God created you to be which can keep you constantly busy, yet never feeling successful.
- Attempting to do too many things at once instead of giving attention to one thing and left feeling exhausted with no energy for yourself, family or career.
- Focusing on succeeding in things that are really not important that you feel like you are failing over and over or are not good enough. I love what Francis Chan says in the book Crazy Love, “Our fear should not be failure, but at succeeding in things in life that really don’t matter.”
These are things that can keep me so busy physically and mentally and rob me from enjoying what really matters. As I write this, I know I will have to continually stop and ask what really matters over the next couple of months. There will be party after party, extra responsibilities and events which can lead to unhealthy eating habits, impatience and irritability for me, if I don’t slow down.
What about you? What will you need to do to focus on what really matters this season?
Colossians 3:1 says
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
To remain healthy and fit on the inside this season, let’s keep our eyes on Christ and focus on what He says matter…(speaking loudly to myself right now).
Here is a little health tip to stay on track during this busy season of party after party:
- When asked to bring a dish to a party, bring something healthy so that you are in control and have a healthy choice. It may be the only healthy option there, so go prepared.
- Remember the party is not all about the food. It is about your time with friends and family which is what is really matters. Focus on them and having meaningful conversations.
Ok, Take a deep breath. It is almost time for ready, set, go! Lets stay healthy on the inside by focusing on what really matters! It is much more peaceful and enjoyable.