Fiber! It is one of the things we know we need to add to our diet. The benefits of fiber have been shown to protect against cardiovascular disease, help with weight control, reduce risk of type 2 diabetes and be a source of cancer-fighting antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
Today’s woman should be consuming 15-25 grams of fiber a day (14gms for every 1,000 calories). However, for busy women, it is hard enough to find the time to eat anything healthy (consistently) much less worry about adding in fiber.
Adding fiber to you diet isn’t as hard as it may seem. It just takes a little know-how and some motivation. It can be as easy as choosing nutrient-rich foods—such as legumes, whole grains and fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables. Dried fruit, carrot sticks, a whole-grain pita and even popcorn are a good choice.
Another reason some women may not get enough fiber is because they get in a rut of eating the same thing every day… grilled chicken salad. Do you want something new and easy? Try this quick salad. I love it because you can quickly prepare it on Sunday evening to have for lunches during the week or as a side for an evening meal. The best thing is it will provide almost half of your daily fiber requirements.
Three Bean Salad
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Equal® Spoonful (or use 4.5 packets of Equal® sweetener) *
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 oz) cut green beans, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can (15 oz) dark kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- Combine vinegar, Equal®, olive oil and seasonings; mix well.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- Calories – 159
- Fat – 3 gms
- Protein- 8gms
- Fiber – 8gms
** adapted from Calorie King
** Add grilled chicken if you desire, however nutritional content will change.